Monday, December 04, 2006

I Was a Quilter ...


Long before knitting, I was a quilter. I attended local Quilt Guild meetings and made many family members and friends bed sized quilts. I even made a go at hand quilting for hire but found the very little money for the time invested took the enjoyment out of my hobby. My last partially completed quilt is a hand-pieced, hand-quilted Dresden Plate in reproduced 50's fabric that I hope to someday revisit. But since I found knitting I haven't looked back until recently when a coworker repeatedly asked me to redesign her daughter's old Pottery Barn baby bumper pad bedding into two pillows for Christmas. I'm a sucker for heirlooms and enthusiastically agreed to put aside my holiday knitting projects to undertake this challenge. Because bumper pads are over an inch thick, I had to remove the quilting, the batting, cut out the motifs and sew in borders to make each of the 27" pillow tops. Now I'm requilting the tops and found I really miss my old love of quilting.....