Saturday, October 20, 2007

DIY: Reconstructed Suitcase(s)

I have a little overnight trip coming up next weekend and it got me to thinking about the $9 suitcase I purchased last month at the Colliseum Flea Market. (I have a thing for old, rustic Samsonite suitcases). Last year, at a flea market in Canton, Texas, I found a very nostalgic traincase for $6 and had a vision of recovering it in some western cowgirl fabric I adore. I pulled out the insides, recovered the pieces and glued them back in place. Then glued fabric on the outside, added fringe trim, brass tacks and a silver star medallion concho and there you have it - a roomy case for cosmetics - western style.



Anyways, back to the suitcase. Today I used the same coordinating fabric following the steps above. I was able to keep the very functional elastic divider intact as the green coordinates with the other fabrics. Now I have two pieces of one-of-a-kind luggage just perfect for a weekend getaway.