Saturday, September 19, 2009

Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival

My knitting friend, Angelique, made it to town a couple days ago from Shiprock, NM and has been staying at my place. She comes to town for the bluegrass festival in Winfield, KS and I hate to admit I've lived here all my life and have never attended it. I guess I always thought it was a hillbilly thing I wouldn't enjoy but was I ever wrong.

There's a ton of variety of music in this genre which surprising includes Texas swing. We bought matching hats, spread out a blanket on a hill with our knitting at Stage 2 and spent the afternoon into the late night listening to the different bands that rotated every hour. There are actually 6 stages to choose from.

Stage 5 is in one of the camping areas (the hippee themed camp) where local talent perform. We decided next year we would like to take our tents and stay overnight.